Studying at Korea University

Alien Registration Card Issuance

Required Documents for those who have entered Korea with a D-2 student visa

  1. Passport
  2. Application form(Immigration Office)
  3. One passport-size color photo (3.5cm X 4.5cm)
  4. Application fee: KRW 30,000 (for applying for new alien registration card)
  5. Before the beginning of the semester: Registration confirmation form
    After the beginning of the semester: Certificate of enrollment
    * Student ID Card is issuable at the One-Stop Service Center
    (Central Plaza B111 or Hana Square B107 or Sejong Library 1F)
  6. Document for Proof of Residency - Students must visit the Immigration Office to obtain the Alien Registration Card
  • Sejong-ro Immigration Office : for the jurisdiction of Korea University Seoul Campus
  • Address : Seoul Global Center, 2~3F, 54-1 Seorin-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul
  • Telephone : (02)731-1799 / Call center : 1345

Student Visa (D-2)

Following the immigration law in Korea, all international students at KU must obtain a student visa (D-2) before the semester begins. Student visa (D-2) is to be acquired at the Korean embassy/consulate in the student's home country before entering Korea. Several documents are required for the D-2 visa application, and among them, some documents take a long time to be issued. Hence, students are advised to prepare the requirements in advance to get the visa on time. It is the students' responsibility to obtain a student visa (D-2) before the semester begins. For students who already have a student visa (D-2) issued using the Certificate of Admission (CoA) from another university for the same degree program at KU, they may be required to make a departure and apply for a new student visa (D-2) issued with the CoA from KU at a Korean embassy/ consulate in his/her home country.

Group tourism visa (C-3-2), medical tourism visa (C-3-3), or general tourism visa (C-3-9) CANNOT be changed to a student visa (D-2) in Korea. Students entering Korea with such types of visas must depart as soon as possible and obtain a student visa (D-2) at the Korean embassy or consulate in their home countries.

Required documents for student visa (D -2) application :
application schedule
No Required Documents Note
Mandatory 1 Application form (VISA) Attach a passport-sized photo on it (35x45mm)
2 Passport With one copy of the passport ID page (the page with your photo)
3 Certificate of Admission Provided by the Administration Office of Graduate School
4 ID card Personal ID used in the applicant’s residing country
5 Application fee 60~90 (USD)
6 KU Certificate of Business Registration Provided by the Administration Office of Graduate School
If Applicable 7 Tuberculosis Test Certificate From hospital(s) Designated by the Korean embassy or consulate in student’s residing country.
8 Final Academic Credentials Certificate of Graduation, etc.
9 Financial Statement If it is under the name of the applicant’s parent, Family Relation Certificate in English & the parent’s passport are additionally required
10 Invitation Letter from NIIED
*Korean Gov. scholarship (KGSP)
Provided by the National Institute for international Educations of Korea (those who have an invitation letter form NIIED do not need to submit doc. #8 & #9 regardless of their nationality)
Tuberculosis Test Certificate

Applicants from the following countries who have never submitted the certificate after 2016.3.2 must submit it:

Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, East Timor. India Indonesia, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Philippines, Laos, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Nigeria, South Africa, Belarus, Mozambique, Moldova Republic, Azerbaijan, Angola, Ethiopia, Ukraine, Zimbabwe, Kazakhstan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Papua New Guinea, Tajikistan, Peru

Proof of Final Academic Credentials & Financial Statement

Applicants from the following countries who have never submitted the documents aller 2016,3.2 must submit them:

Bangladesh, China, Egypt, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Guinea, Mali, Ethiopia, Uganda, Cameroon

  • 1) Final Academic Credentials
    - Choose one of the following methods: ① Apostille ② Confirmation from a Korean embassy or consulate located in the country where the applicant's final education was completed ③ Documents from China Credentials Verification (for students who graduated from institutions in China)
    Final Academic Credentials may be required by the Korean embassy or consulate when applying for a student visa (D-2), even if the same documents were submitted during the admission process at Korea University.
  • 2) Financial Statement
    - 20,000(USD) including tuition fee (with receipt) and scholarship (if applicable)

The requirements for student visa (D-2) application may vary by individual and by the embassy. It is advised for the student to contact the Korean embassy or consulate in their home country first before applying for the visa, to find out if there is any additional documentation needed for the application of D-2 visa.
After receiving the passport back, please check if the issued visa is for Masters (D-2-3) or Ph.D / Integrated MS · Ph.D (D-2-4) under the name of KU. If Associate (D-2-1), Undergraduate (D-2-2), or any incorrect type of visa is issued, the student must notify the Korean embassy immediately and correct the visa type to an appropriate one.

Student ID Card Issuance

  • Location : One-Stop Service Center Central Plaza B1F (B111) (02)3290-1142, 1144 Hana Square B1F (B107) (02)3290-4090
    Sejong Library 1F (Sejong Campus) (044)860-1072
  • Required Documents : 1 color photo (3.5cm X 4.5cm), Passport (Original) a copy of the front side of Alien Registration Card

Health Insurance

All international students are required to have a health insurance plan. Students MUST have one of the following three options: Study-abroad Insurance from the home country, Korean National Health Insurance Service, or Private Insurance in Korea. However, from February 28, 2021, Korean Government is regulating that any foreigner who has stayed for six months or more in Korea is subject to the statutory subscription to the National Health Insurance Service (NHIS).

National Health Insurance Service

As an international student studying in Korea, you can receive a 50% discount from the National Health Insurance Service which is about 131,900 KRW. Students need to submit a passport, ARC. and certificate of Enrollment in order to apply for NHIS.

Major Private Insurance Companies (Optional)
  • Contact : Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance (82-1899-0010) / Website :
  • Contact : KB Insurance (82-2-3140-1717 (English, Chinese)) / Website :
  • Contact : Meritz Fire Insurance (82-1688-7711/82-2-3786-2114) / Website :

Medical Facilities

The University Welfare and Health Center

The University Welfare and Health Center provides primary medical care and health services for students including annual physical exams, x-rays, primary medical care for simple ambulatory cases, health counseling, dental care, etc. In addition to the central clinic on the Main Campus, branch clinics are located on the Science Campus and the Sejong Campus.

Health Centers by Campus

Humanities and Social Sciences Health Center - Central Square B1 Floor #112 - +822-3290-1571
Sciences Health Center - Hana Square B1 Floor #102 - +822-3290-1572
Sejong Health Center - Student Union Building #221 - +8241-860-1037~8

The Korea University Medical Center

There are four Korea University Medical Centers in Anam, Guro, Yeoju, and Ansan which are equipped with the latest technologies for diagnostic and treatment equipment. While it is hoped that students would never need the center’s services, KU medical center is one of finest facilities in Korea and is available for students.

Anam Hospital
Anam Hospital


On-campus accommodation

Students are responsible for arranging their own accomodations The University dormitory is one option that is quite affordable, however, the availability is limited

application schedule
Residence Hall Occupancy Semester (4 months) Semester + Vacation Period (approx. 6) months)
Anam Global House Single 1,987,300 2,922,500
Double 1,594,600 2,345,000
Triple 940,100 1,382,500

Anam Global House is a dormitory for graduate students and GKS students who will be attending 2021 1st semester. can apply. Therefore if you are a student who is expected to graduate in Feb 2021,or have completed the course cannot apply unless you are registered for a required course limit.

  • Website :
  • Seoul Graduate Student Residence Manager Email :
  • Graduate Student Residence Manager Phone : +822-3290-1555
Off-campus Accommodation

Prices range from approximately 350,000 KRW to 700,000 KRW per month, and the average price is about 500,000 KRW. There are quite a lot of private student accommodations called ‘Gositel’ around the campus.
‘Gositel’ is usually a single person room that comes fully furnished with a shared kitchen and laundry.

Useful Websites:

Korean Language Center

Established in 1986, KLC offers various education programs, cultural events, and support services to meet the needs of international students.

Advantages of KLC
  • Over 150 professional faculty comprising experts in Korean Language Education
  • The KLC conducts placement interviews to assign new students to appropriate classes according to their Korean proficiency level.
  • Cultural experience programs and events such as Hello Summer! party, field trips, International Korean UCC Festival and etc
  • Student support services including student helpers to help with your Korean language skills and adjust your lives in Korea, multilingual counseling service in English, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Russian, and Mongolian, and visa agency services
KLC Programs
application schedule
Course Name Program Description Program Period Class Hours classes
General Korean Course Communication-based integrated classes. With the textbooks are written by KLC, students learn reading, listening, speaking, and writing. Also, students carry out speaking tasks such as speech, presentation, and discussion. For advanced students, experts from all walks of life in the Korean society give special lectures on various topic. 10 weeks 4 hrs/day Morning class: Level 1-6

Afternoon class: levels 1-5, research class
In addition to learning what is taught in the General Korean Course, students can further practice skills necessary for their studies such as writing an outline, giving a presentation, writing reports, and debating. They also offer TOPIK preparation classes. 10 weeks 4 hrs/day Afternoon class: levels 1-6
With the identical class contents as offline classes, the online course follows the curriculum of the general course. It is a real-time video class where you can ask questions, give presentations, and receive feedback from your teacher. 10 weeks 4 hrs/day Afternoon class: levels 1-6